Monday, November 12, 2012

Review Number Nineteen

Today I posted review number nineteen. That is huge...okay, not as huge as number twenty but that will be coming. Before I reach that mark I am going to be spending the next few weeks posting to the blog on Mondays instead of new reviews. Each week will be an interview with one of the reviewers currently submitting to the site. Today, I am going to do a little more talking about myself, next week you will get to read more about Jonathan B. All this to build up to review number twenty, I am so excited for this. Without further ado, here’s the first interview. 

1. What do you currently do for a living? What do you want to do? What role does contributing to this site play in your current or future goals?

I currently work in customer service for a grocery store, am a full time student at UW-Milwaukee, and am an AWEsome girlfriend. I’d eventually like to drop the gig at the grocery store. As thankful as I am for the job, because it provided income, health insurance, friends, and a lot of valuable work experience, I’d much rather get paid to do something with books or writing. Possibly find myself in publishing, or even open my own book/movie store, you know along the same lines as the site. I also intend to keep on being an AWEsome girlfriend, at least until the AWEsome befriend makes me an AWEsome wife. This site, is going to work to hone my skills as a writer, keep me working on a schedule and organized, teach me skills I otherwise wouldn’t have (website admin and designer) and work as a portfolio of sorts.

2. What is one book you could read over and over again and why?


This is a difficult decision, mostly because a lot of really good books are a part of a series, and it is really difficult to just read one without there being a tugging desire to read the rest. However, to name one and only one it would come down to The Giver by Lois Lowry. It’s just so small, and real, and sad, and beautiful.

3. If you could only read books in one genre, which one and why?

Hands down Young Adult, mostly because it has everything: love stories, action, mystery, thriller, fantasy. Also, because I have a feeling it will keep me feeling young, or at least able to keep up with the young(er).

4. Of all the characters you have read, which one seems to have a personality most like yours?

When I first came up with this question it didn’t seem to difficult, then again maybe it is why I didn’t ask for all the questions to be answered. Hrm... possibly Shay from Scott Westerfeld's Uglies. Kind of adventurous, wants to think for herself but also wants to be excepted by others, holds grudges, likes to have fun, can help in a crisis. She’s got a lot going for her, even if it is mostly because she is surgically altered.

5. Who is your least favorite character or couple in a book? Why?

Now that I am actually answering this I am saddened to know that not every reviewer answered Professor Umbridge from Harry Potter. I wanted her tortured and dead a lot more the Lord What’s-his-name. I think the most awful thing about her is she was supposed to be a “good guy,’ makes her ten times more evil if you ask me. Then again, maybe that was an easy answer.

6. If there was one character you could emulate, either looks, personality and or ability, who would it be and which traits in particular?

Not so much on the personality front, but honestly, Bella Swan, post birthing the human-vampire hybrid. Pretty, super fast and strong, don’t really need the “super power,” will live until someone kills her, which could be along time, doesn’t need to waste money on groceries, buying clothes because she no longer fits in what she has, or lotion filled with glitter. Yeah, that could be an awesome life... but only if someone were around to share it with me... but as Bella Swan I could make that happen couldn’t I?


7. What movie have you watched the most? Any particular reason?

I think it’s a toss up between Pride and Prejudice with Keira Knightley and Empire Records. The first is beautifully filmed, the costuming, the sets, the filmography, the soundtrack, just make for a good film, and it’s a classic story. The second, it’s quick passed, humorous, has a great soundtrack, and tons of one liners. And it’s sprinkled with stars much to the effect of the 80's brat pack, you know, the talent of Breakfast Club, Pretty in Pink, and St. Elmo’s Fire.
 

8. Are there any movies that you felt were a waste of time and or money? Elaborate.

S1mOne and Mirror Mirror. Take a look at the Half in the Bag review of Jack and Jill staring Adam Sandler and his entourage. I am sure that movie would make this list too had I watched it. I went into each of these movies expecting a lot more then what I got. What I got, instead of a the potentially awesome story and display of images I was hoping for (or even formulaic comedy), was ham fisted idea after ham fisted idea that someone somewhere said that’s a wrap, edited the pile of junk we have and called it a day. Don’t sell me on a movie that is about the evil queen and then give me the same tired story I already know (Brave missed with this too). The idea of replacing a live human with a computer generated simulation, had the potential to question why the industry doesn’t move in this direction... it could potentially keep costs down, again look at Jack and Jill, and it was this shallow flick about people falling in love with someone that doesn’t exist. Blah.

9. Are there any books that you would make a conscious effort to avert others from? Why?

A common answer to this is no, because as long as people are reading something, even if it is notably a pile of fecal mater, is better than them not reading at all. I have to agree. I can’t even suggest books that are against my own beliefs or I personally feel are a waste of time, because it is a good thing to be versed in things you don’t agree with, it gives credibility to your opinion, also, one mans pile of fecal mater is another mans pile of manure growing and cultivating a love for reading or rewriting.

10. If you could pit two characters from different movies played by the same actor/actress against each other in a fight, which two characters and why? Who would win?

My mind is drawing a blank, probably should have answered this question, or at least have been mulling it over when I initially wrote the question over a month ago, now I can only think of characters that are just complete opposites where one wouldn’t stand a chance at winning. Like Keira Knightley from Domino and Pride and Prejudice, cage match those two characters and the bounty hunter wins. Leonardo DiCaprio fro What’s Eating Gilbert Grape and any other role he has ever played and that kid would be gone in a sorrowful second - I’m sure his other character would be remorseful but really he’d be better asset to society. I GOT IT! Robert Pattinson from Harry Potter and Twilight. Would magic win against vampire nigh-invincibility? Ultimately, if Cedric didn’t realize he would have to explode then burn Edward, the most he would get would be ahead start. That’s not even considering Edwards mind reading skills. Sorry, the win goes to the vampire.

                                   
11. Talk about why a character from a book/game turned to movie where the character is considerably better in the book/game. One that is considerably better in the movie.

Jack Torrance of the book The Shining was by far better than the Jack Torrance portrayed by Jack Nicholson. He was human, and struggled in the book, he was just flat out creepy moving to insane in the movie.

Lauren from Twilight is by far better in the movie, because she doesn’t exist, an excellent editing choice, but kind of a cheep pick for this purpose. Jessica from Twilight is better in the movie as well, kind of a stuck up little prat that is only Bella’s friend when it helps her socially. A much better friend and person in the movies than the book.

12. What character from book, game, or movie have you had a crush on?


Okay, the movie option was probably a little on the easy side, especially because it is less the character and more the actor... even though it is a high likely that the actor has lost his identity to the character he plays. So Imma pick a book. Why back when I was a young las I read a series by L.J. Smith called Dark Visions. There were two guys vying for the leading ladies affection, well, it’s a bit more complicated then that, but damn was I team Gabriel all the way. ... it has been over a decade since reading the book, so I can’t really go into details why, but I know Rob just wasn’t enough... maybe it was the short name?

Note: Can’t stand the updated cover to the book.


13. What are some titles that fall into your "I need to read/watch/play" list.

This could be long so I’ll keep it to one of each. To read: The Lord of the Rings Trilogy. To watch: Casablanca. To play: I need to finish playing Portal then on to Portal 2.

14. If you had to come up with a cross over story, which characters would you chose to unite, and what would the basic story be? (This can include Television)

I’d really like to see a cross over with Breaking Bad and Burn Notice. Barry ends up being Walters money launderer, possibly because his crazy wife gets murdered. That would be nice. Chuck Finley could make an appearance to try and lure out Walter for Hank but finds out that he can’t do a thing knowing Barry is involved not to mention Walter ain’t that bad a guy, at least in comparison to say Anson or Larry. That could be good.
                    
15. If you could share a meal, or a cup of coffee with any five authors, who would they be? What two questions would you want most to ask?

J. K. Rowling, Emily Giffin, Stephen King, Maurice Sendak (yes, I know he’s dead) and Ann Rice. First, I’d like to tell Anne this, “My high school history teacher’s name was John. The name wasn’t an issue until the government tried drafting her.”* Then I’d like to ask who’d they would like to meet, and if they’d ever taken a moment to read one of their books reviewed on 24 Pages Per Second, when they say no, I’d give them a card to the link and a sly wink. Nah, I’m just kidding I am not that smooth.

*Anne Rice born Howard Allen Frances O'Brien, thanks to all the various links on a google search that started with that exact information.

No comments:

Post a Comment