Tuesday, November 27, 2012

An Interview with Heidi B.

What do you currently do for a living? What do you want to do? What role does contributing to this site play in your current or future goals?

I currently work in print, managing the mailing of a few periodicals and catalogs. It’s a great job and I’m really enjoying it, but it is definitely not what I studied in school. I’d love to do something involving archaeology, specifically Viking-age Scandinavian archaeology, or just to live in Sweden. I used to write short stories fairly often, but for the past 5 years or so I’ve not really put any effort into creative writing. I am hoping that writing for this site will help get me back into writing, as I’ve had a few story ideas kicking around for a while.

What is one book you could read over and over again and why?

I don’t think I have one specific book that I could read over and over, but rather I have a few different series of books I tend to read at least annually. They all do a really good job creating worlds I’d love to live in, and I think that’s what keeps me reading them again and again. Jacqueline Carey’s Kushiel’s Legacy is one that I reread fairly often.

If you could only read books in one genre, which one and why?

I usually stick to fantasy novels, because I’m a big fan of fantastical worlds, magic systems, giants and dragons and wizards, etc… I think reading should allow the reader to “escape” the real world, and fantasy makes that way more fun.

Of all the characters you have read, which one seems to have a personality most like yours?

There are so many characters in the books I’ve read over the years that I see pieces of myself in, but I think the one character I’d consider most like myself is Surreal from Anne Bishop’s Black Jewels Trilogy. Surreal is a red-haired high level witch prostitute assassin, and while out of those characteristics I am only red-haired (and dyed at that!), her personality is closest to mine. She’s no-nonsense and makes sure everyone knows how she can more than handle herself in any situation she’s thrown in. She’s also incredibly sarcastic, snarky and pretty much an all out badass bitch, and I like to think if I lived in the world of that series I’d be much like her.

Who is your least favorite character or couple in a book? Why?

I think I fall a little in love with all the characters in books I read, but honestly the one character I just can’t stand is goddamn Professor Umbridge in Harry Potter. I’m sure it’s just a case of me disliking the character so much due to excellent writing, but my god, I just want to smack her stupid frog face whenever I read Order of the Phoenix.

If there was one character you could emulate, either looks, personality and or ability, who would it be and which traits in particular?

Karsa Orlong from Steven Erikson’s Malazan Book of the Fallen series. Because then I’d get to be bigger than everyone and tougher than everyone and also kill everyone including GODS.

What movie have you watched the most? Any particular reason?

There are many movies that I will watch over and over again because, like with reading, I enjoy escapism. There are few movies that I will drop everything to watch when I notice them on cable, though. These are: Mrs. Doubtfire, Beetlejuice, Overboard, and Jurassic Park. There is no rhyme or reason to these movies, I just really, really like them.

Are there any books that you would make a conscious effort to avert others from? Why?

While I’d like to sit here and say Twilight, honestly, any books that get people who probably wouldn’t read otherwise are good. Twilight isn’t a good novel for many, many reasons, but I’m not going to steer someone away from reading it because at least they’re reading.  Maybe it’ll get them into reading other, better novels, and then hey! It did a good!

What are some titles that fall into your "I need to read/watch/play" list.

Probably #1 on my must read list is the A Song of Fire and Ice series. I absolutely love the television adaptation, and it’s hailed as a great fantasy series. There is really no excuse for why I haven’t yet read it.


No comments:

Post a Comment